Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Me In A Wheelchair

I received an email from my Great-Aunt Trish with the following message and video:

A son asked his father, 'Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?'

The father who, despite having a heart condition, says 'Yes. '
They went on to complete the marathon together.

Father and son went on to join other marathons, the father always saying 'Yes' to his son's request of going through the race together.

One day, the son asked his father, 'Dad, let's join the Ironman together.' To which, his father said 'Yes.'

For those who don't know, Ironman is the toughest triathlon ever. The race encompasses three endurance events of a 2.4 mile (3.86 kilometer)ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180 .2 kilometer) bike ride, and ending with a 26.2 mile (42.195 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the Big Island .

Father and son went on to complete the race together.

Watch their video below...




As I watched this video, it really hit me that I am that son in the wheelchair. He did nothing to complete the race...nothing of his own strength enabled him to complete an ironman. It was all about his father. It was all his father's strength, love, and committment that brought them across that finish line. So many times I resort to living life out of my own strength. I look to my own goodness or righteousness, forgetting that the righteousness and goodness I do have comes from being clothed in Christ. I will win the race, not in my own self, but with my strong, caring, loving, perfect Heavenly Father pushing my wheelchair.

3 comments:

The Perreca Family said...

Oh, so true! What a beautiful picture that father-son team present! Thanks for sharing!

Trish said...

Wow - that is so amazing! It brings me to tears. Thanks so much for the encouragement as I get ready to start the school year.

See you tomorrow!

Beverly said...

Melissa Ford has a video of this father and son. It is awesome! Brings tears to my eyes every time.
Oh, I hope you don't mind my borrowing your blog title!