Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Smith Mountain Lake, VA

We had a fun family vacation at Smith Mountain Lake, Va last week. Jeff's parents rented a beautiful house right on the lake, complete with a beach area. Jason (Jeff's brother), Elizabeth, & Riley were there with us too. Sydney, Riley & Ethan had a blast together! Sydney gained tremendous confidence in the water, and by the end of the week wanted to jump off the boat and swim by herself (with a lifevest). Ethan loved being in the water too. While we were there, we celebrated Sydney's 5th birthday. Here are some pictures.

Sydney's Hawaiian Coconut Cake
Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay...

Reid & Papa
Ethan Driving Papa's Boat
Sydney On Her Own!

Sydney wanted a Hawaiian party, and she wanted pancakes for breakfast.


Uncle Jason mixed up the pina coladas!
Jeff & the kids had fun fishing.
Papa was pulling S&E on the rope- a prelude to tubing.
Making cream cheese & olive sandwiches


On Sydney's birthday, I reflected a lot on the past 5 years with her. I remember a few days before she was born, I took off work on a Friday since I was scheduled for an induction the following Monday. I went to Barnes & Noble with my friend Trish for coffee that moring. Her then 4.5 year old son, Harrision, sat and looked at books while we chatted. I remember thinking, "Wow, this stay at home mom thing is really the life!" I think back now about how I didn't know a thing about what I was getting into, but how being a mom really is "the life." Not a life of luxury and ease and hanging out at coffee shops, but so amazingly wonderful. Children are so absolutely precious, and our time with them short. I am so thankful for the privledge of having Sydney, Ethan & Reid, and I try to cherish each day with them knowing I won't ever get that time back.



3 comments:

The Perreca Family said...

Can Sydney really be 5?!? Wow- where does the time go! It looks like everyone had fun! How can you NOT have fun when you are surrounded by family AND at the lake!?! I can't believe how big Ethan is and how much like him Reid looks!

Angie Z ~ Duckwaddlequack said...

Looks like ya'll had a super great time! Thanks for sharing all the great pics of everyone!
~Angie

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Sydney!!!

I pray blessing over you, little one, in this coming year!