Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thy Mercy My God

As if I didn't write enough about baptism in my previous post, there was something extra special about that Sunday that I really wanted to share. My favorite musical group is Indelible Grace, who takes ancient hymns and sets them to new music. One of my absolute favorite songs they do is Thy Mercy My God. Click here to listen to a sound clip. Just click on the song title to hear it.

On my way to the hospital to have Reid, Jeff & I listened to this song, and I kept it in my head during labor (click here to read that amazing story!). Although we sing Indelible Grace at our church often, we have never sung this particular song when I've been there. Would you believe this is the song we sang right before Reid was baptized?! How awesome it was to sing this with my faith community and reflect on God's tender mercies just before the sign of God's merciful covenant was applied to my sweet baby.
Here are the lyrics:

Thy mercy my God is the theme of my song
The joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last
Hath won my affection and bound my soul fast

Without Thy sweet mercy I could not live here
Sin would reduce me to utter despair
But through Thy free goodness my spirits revive
And He that first made me still keeps me alive

Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart
Dissolved by thy goodness I fall to the ground
And weep to the praise of the mercy I've found

Great Father of mercies! Thy goodness I own
And the covenant love of Thy crucified Son
All praise to the Spirit whose whisper divine
Seals mercy and pardon and righteousness mine!

2 comments:

FreeK said...

Hi Melanie

I was just listening to the music from your blog and wondered if you had ever heard of Sovereign Grace Ministry and their music, I think you would like it. Bob Kauflin writes a lot of their songs, very scripture based and God glorifying.
Hope you are well!

Trish said...

We sang this last Sunday at church and I thought of you. :)